Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Just Thinkin'

I was telling Steve this story just now and thought I'd blog it to share with my kids.
Years ago, probably at least twenty, it was this time of year and I was homesick thinking of everyone in the sugarhouse but me. One morning I called home and happened to catch Dad for a few minutes to chat. He was on his way to the sugarhouse and had stopped by the house to get a dry pair of gloves, change his boots and get some hot dogs. (funny but I remember him saying that) I guess he could tell I was a little lonesome so this was what he told me to do. "You just go outside and breath in deep and I'll bet you'll be able to smell that sap boiling. " Then how he laughed. I could hear him laughing all the way out the door as he left the house. (He knew the wind blows so hard here this time of year, some days up to 100 mph. no kidding.) I never smelled it before or after that day but ON that day I DID! Did that smell of sap roll in with the strong wind or what? Isn't it amazing what one can smell 2,500 miles from home! At this point, I KNOW you are questioning my sanity but, for whatever reason it DID happen and even if I'm the only one who smelled sap boiling in Eagar, Arizona that day, I KNOW what I smelled. And somehow on that morning so many years ago, I wasn't quite as homesick as I am today.
And Steve is still laughing with me, not AT me, I'm sure. :)

5 comments:

Rylee said...

I believe you!!

Jennifer said...

I love the pictures and what a cute story.

Linde said...

I love the pictures too! Love the story too! Don't let Dad laugh at you too much!

Diane said...

Your Dad could make anyone believe anything.Like the time he told Eric to try RAW hamburg."It taste just as good as candy" he told Eric.So being only 5 Eric believed Gramp and tryed it.He never ate raw hamburg again and thought Gramp was crazy.We sure do miss him.He really kept things lively around here.

Amanda said...

THe pictures are awesome!! I miss gramps. Dad is such a dork.